Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mexico is for lovers....



Or friends, or family, or kids.... Really anyone would love Mexico. I seriously contemplated what it would take to just live there. Dog treat stand on the beach? Kids flown down to make origami to sell. Jason would make a mean pool bartender. The options are endless!
Yet, there came a point after 5 nights and 6 days at NOW Jade in Puerto Morelos, Mexico in which we had to return from the 90 degree Mexican sun to our gorgeous rainy 50 degree Iowa heaven.
The trip was great. MORE than great! Each day we spent about half our day ocean side and the other half hanging out with Victor our pool bartender :) He was a gem. He was kind enough to make us several shots..one named the "blue mo-fo" (use your imagination) and it was delightful. However, it really was a mo-fo when I couldn't walk back to our room....had trouble showering... missed dinner.. Woke up at 11 p.m. after planning to meet new friends at 10. Ahhhh...oh well. I ordered a cheeseburger and went to bed. What else would you do in a situation like that!?
We learned our lesson and took it a little easier the other days. Tried not to bring out the shots until after we had eaten dinner.
The food was fantastic! We ate at a different fancy schmancy restaurant every night and I got to indulge in as much seafood as my heart could desire. And the wine...ohhh the bottomless wine. It was super-duper to say the least! I did branch out a little bit when the hot pool sun made me want something a little cooler than a dry red. Folks, I must tell you that the best frozen drink out there is called a Miami Vice. It's half Strawberry Daquiri half Pina Colada and should probably be your summer drink.
Other than sun, eat, drink, nap we were pretty boring. We rented a boogie board for an afternoon, which resulted in a body full of sand in crazy places and a wave literally swallowing my entire body. But it was fun. Simple. Low key. We vacation very light. We don't try to plan a full day of things. We live on a schedule Sun-Sat every.single.week. We like the freedom of finding a spot....and not having to move all day. We spend tons of time in our room. I still watch 16 & pregnant. And we just kinda go with the flow, fully knowing that at the end whether we got to do all the things we wanted or not...we were relaxed! We talked about how we don't know if we would be very fun people to vacation with. But...i'm not so sure! We're fun! ...just not busy vacationers. I was just curious as to how everyone else vacations? Would love it if you would share!
ANYWAY, it wouldn't be a true Kati vacation without some drama so I must back track. See, last time we went to Mexico 2 years ago it was our first trip together and I didn't realize until about 2 weeks before the trip that my passport was no where to be found. I studied abroad three years prior at this point and I knew it had to be somewhere..I had just moved a lot since then and it was probably hiding or something. There came a point where I had searched everywhere. EVERYWHERE! And I had to face the fact. It was gone (still haven't found it to this day). I had to get a new one. and fast. I thought I could get it issued in Des Moines...expedite it, no big deal. WRONG! After making about a million frantic phone calls I discovered that I must drive 6 hours to Chicago to a special expedite office, wait in line, and cross my fingers that it came in time. That sucks.... but no big deal, i'll just go...right? Well...yes right. But at first WRONG. I hate driving by myself. Like hate hate hate hate it. I'll do it if I have to. But, I can't handle just sitting for that long (anywhere) so I start to get tired. Then I get scared I'll fall asleep at the wheel. Ahh. I knew I had to go, but was trying to recruit anyone and everyone to come with me and just keep me entertained. No one could. So, I did what any grown adult woman would do. I cried. And then had J cancel Alice's dentist appointment so she could come with me. Yep, i forced a child to endure this excruciating drive with me. Luckily, she's much cooler than I and was super excited and we ended up having a blast!

See!

And that was even after making her stand in line for nearly an entire day with me. Long story short...the passport made it. THE DAY BEFORE we left. And I look 3,000 lbs in it. Great.

So that brings me to this time. Everything set to go! Get up, get to the airport, get our our passports! ....wait. passport!? It was in this pouch a second ago!? Ohhhh *bleep* This smarty pants had it out a few days ago just taking a moment to be so proud I hadn't lost it yet again and apparently hadn't put it back in. I knew exactly where it was! ....on the floor. in the basement. at home. Ugh. Our flight takes off in 45 minutes. So.. back in the car. running red lights. I took a moment to say "ha. wouldn't be a trip to mexico with me without some passport drama, right?!" ....wrong time to say that apparently. Jason had no comment. He only spoke to me to remind that.. "we're never going to make it!" We get to the house, I run in and luckily it is right where I thought it was, back in the car, back through red lights. We get back to the airport and our bags are checked tickets ready but they said the flight literally leaves in 3 minutes so we need to RUN. There we are...being 'those people' in the airport sprinting to our terminal. (you know you see those people run by and think...dumbass) We get there and they are literally almost closing the door. We get in and they close the door behind us. Safe! Whew!
Rough start to an awesome day, but we made it. And my boyfriend started speaking to me again once the fasten seatbelt sign had gone off. :)

So after drama.relief.relaxation.burned skin.and tons of yummy cocktails and food - it was a trip for the books.
And I got this really pretty ring.


Have a great week everyone!!!

If you want to see more photos of our trip you can look here :
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.547235364564.2042495.78300219

2 comments:

  1. When you said you got a pretty ring... I was expecting something else :)

    Glad you had fun in Mexico but next time? Take me! Ok so drinks this week?

    and I need your address! I'm planning the girls bday party and you need to bring your little fam to it!

    LOVE YOU and MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe..i'm tricky like that :)
    I'll email you my address. Would love to come to the girls' party!!!

    Drinks. ASAP. I'm free this Saturday night. Sunday night. and next Tuesday night. Take your pick, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete